The following is an honest and thoughtful review for Veranda Hotel. I was in a typical situation: last minute plans being cancelled and now I’m looking for a hotel to spend the night, rest and kill some time. I stayed in San Pedro Sula for 2 nights but the first night I decided to book a room.
I googled “hotels in San Pedro Sula” on my phone while waiting for a friend in Altara Mall, and the first 10 results caught my attention. I knew I didn’t want to spend more than $50.00, but I wasn’t expecting something amazing either. I mean, it’s only one night and it was already 6PM.
Everything seemed overpriced, and mostly all results landed in “el centro de San Pedro Sula” – not the best area(s) but not the worst either. Safety is always first. I filtered and called up Veranda Hotel (very great pictures by the way). The receptionist was extremely friendly, happy and almost excited that I was calling. I reserved the room over the phone (no cc required) and took a cab to el centro.
Here’s some more information about my stay:
- Business name: Veranda Hotel
- Business type: Accomodations (30 rooms)
- Location: San Pedro Sula, Honduras Bo. El Benque 6 Calle, 7 y 8 Avenida 50
- Price for the night: $41.00 one bed, one bathroom
- Dates: 2/12/2018 – 2/13/2018
- Compared to:
I put together some ratings in order to get a sense of the overall experience as well:
- Comfort: 8/10
- Efficiency: 10/10
- Service: 10/10
Comfort – why 8/10? This hotel stands out from the rest in this area. The hotel’s theme has a royal touch to it, with an invitation for kings and queens. It’s extremely clean, tidy and the white and dark maple colors of the walls makes you feel right at home. I was very impressed with the room as well.
I crashed as soon as I landed
But I came across three inconveniences:
- Since the treadmill was stationed across my room, I was woken up to the sound of someone jogging up around 7:00am. I thought my window was open, but it wasn’t. I’m sure it’s pretty inconvenient to anyone trying to rest to hear that sound… for more than 30 minutes. It was Tuesday, I’m sure other single bed rooms were available.
- The bathroom is really small, at least for me (5’11) and in the room I stayed in. When sitting on the toilet, my knees were about half inch away from the wall. The shower space was perfect though.
- San Pedro Sula is hot and humid, so you’re forced to turn on the A/C without even thinking about it. The thing is, the A/C then makes the room cold so covering up when sleeping is a must. The only available sheet to cover up was really thin so I was left in this dilemma between leaving the air on and being cold, or off and being hot, or on but using it as a fan. If you’ve been to San Pedro Sula, you know what I’m talking about.
Hallway of the third floor
Efficiency – why 10/10? This was one of my favorite experiences, and it started with the phone call. Every question answered quickly. Check-in took me about 5 minutes. I did all the general hotel registration and I was on my way. No complaints here. The receptionist was just as enthusiastic in person as she was on the phone, and that means a lot to me because it defines the culture of the company.
Service – why 10/10? I was able to sneak in my 3 miles HIT cardio around 10am with a breeze, after picking up the treadmill key from the front desk. Of course, I got my courtesy check-out call right on time without feeling rushed. I didn’t get a chance to hit up the free breakfast because I woke up too late! The receptionist called a cab for me on my way out which was great since I didn’t have to worry about catching a random cab from the street. Great treatment, and again, shout out to the receptionist for being so genuine and caring, it truly reflected authentic empathy from a customer perspective.
300 calories burned! No interruptions!
Final thoughts and suggestions…
Am I coming back? Oh yes! I loved it. Please note I’m being very picky in this review, but this place is definitely a bang for your buck. At this quality, other places are easily charging around $100.00 a night for one bedroom. I’m not sure if Veranda Hotel has an official website, because I didn’t find one online. Please install one where customers like me can leave reviews. 🙂
I hope this is helpful to anyone who’s visiting San Pedro Sula. I found this video on YouTube if you’re interested in seeing more pictures of the place. Those pictures are pretty accurate and they aren’t just posting the best ones!